THE ROLE OF THE STATE HIGHWAY SAFETY AGENCY IN MANAGING A STATE'S HIGHWAY SAFETY PROGRAM: CRITERIA FOR PERFORMANCE AND SUCCESS
The workshop discussions reported here dwelt on the role of the State Highway Safety Agency (SHSA) in managing a state's highway safety program. The workshop, which highlighted the reasons for both the success and failure of state programs, focused critical attention on the SHSA as the locus of state program management and emphasized both the needs and opportunities which existed within the agencies. The workshop concluded that until all states have developed the capability to identify and solve their own highway safety problems, wholesale devolution of responsibility from federal to state levels would be premature. The weaknesses of SHSAs had several aspects relating to the management of programs, the organization structure; and the paucity of reliable data for use in identifying highway safety problems. There is no one factor or group of factors essential to the success of SHSAs. However, the quality of leadership appears very important. Recommendations are presented which relate to: the clarification of legislation concerning organization and powers of SHSA; statutory specification of the structure and authority of SHSAs; coordination of national programs and policies so that states may receive guidance and assistance; and the organization and management practices of SHSAs.
- Digital Copy:
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/issn/00978515
- This workshop was sponsored by the Committee on Planning and Administration of Transportation Safety of the Transportation Research Board, held at Central Missouri State University, Warrensburg, Missouri, July 27-29, 1977.
Washington, DC United States 20001
- Publication Date: 1978-12
- Features: Appendices; Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 35 p.
- Transportation Research Circular
- Issue Number: 197
- Publisher: Transportation Research Board
- ISSN: 0097-8515
- TRT Terms: Coordination; Federal government; Highway safety; Labor unions; Laws; Management; Organization; Performance; State government
- Uncontrolled Terms: Programs
- Geographic Terms: United States
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Highways; Law; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00188477
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS, TRB
- Created Date: Mar 28 1979 12:00AM