HANDFUL OF BEADS
Accident statistics have proved that roads with the lowest accident rates are those which have been designed and maintained with optimal safety delineation to improve the driving environment. Proper delineation can reduce the number of driver decisions, make decisions as easy as possible, and even forgive should an inaccurate decision occur. The sole function of glass beads in highway marking is to maximize the reflectivity of the markings, thus improving the driving environment and increasing highway safety. The majority of pavement marking done today is reflectorized, painted stripes on an asphaltic highway. It is this system that the paper discusses with respect to the use of beads, available bead types, gradations, coatings, application, evaluation and performance.
- Compendium of Technical Papers of the 47th Annual Meeting of the Institute of Transportation Engineers and the Fourth World Transportation Engineers Conference, Mexico City, October 2-6, 1977.
Institute of Transportation Engineers1627 Eye Street, NW, Suite 600
Washington, DC USA 20006
- O'Leary, T H
- Publication Date: 1977
- Pagination: p. 322-338
- TRT Terms: Crash rates; Glass; Glass beads; Highway delineators; Highway design; Highway safety; Highway traffic control; Reflectivity; Traffic control devices
- Old TRIS Terms: Highway delineation; Highway signs (Signals and markings); Marking
- Subject Areas: Highways; Operations and Traffic Management;
- Accession Number: 00188416
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Engineering Index
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Mar 28 1979 12:00AM