BASIS FOR DETERMINING THE MAIN DIMENSIONS AND LOAD FEATURES OF FREIGHT WAGONS
GRUNDLAGEN ZUR BESTIMMUNG DER HAUPTABMESSUNGEN UND LASTMERKMALE VON GUETERWAGEN (TEIL 1)
In dealing with the bases of calculation for the main dimensions and load characteristics of freight wagons, the article can provide only a relatively brief survey of the contents and present state of the international rules and regulations, and no claim to completeness is made. The UIC leaflets dealt with here are subject to continuous revision in accordance with the progress of technology. Special reference may be made, for example, to the present investigations for drawing up a new and larger international vehicle gauge. Results already available show that the width cannot be increased, but substantial improvements can be expected in the higher, sloped area, and these can be applied later on new and improved routes in Europe. Since the demands of the railways' large customers in the iron and steel industries for an increase in axle loading from 20 to at least 22 tonnes are becoming ever more insistant, the UIC is now examining this problem in as far as it affects track and vehicle design.
- See also Vol. 27 No. 12, pages 815-818, December 1978 issue.
Hestra VerlagHolzhofallee 33, Postfach 4244
6100 Darmstadt 1, Germany
- MOLLE, P
- Publication Date: 1978-11
- Features: Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 5 p.
- Eisenbahntechnische Rundschau
- Volume: 27
- Issue Number: 11
- Publisher: Hestra Verlag
- TRT Terms: Axle loads; Design; Freight cars; Specifications; Standardization; Technology; Vehicle design
- Uncontrolled Terms: Design criteria
- Geographic Terms: Germany
- Old TRIS Terms: Axle loadings; Car design; Freight car design
- Subject Areas: Design; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00188365
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Eisenbahntechnische Rundschau
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Feb 27 1979 12:00AM