Can Vienna really turn its ambitions into reality?
An interview with Karl Zochmeister, head of passenger traffic management of OeBB, Austria is reported. OeBB has ambitions to make Vienna and the region the finest public transport network in the world. The company wants to have an equivalent to satellite navigation for information in ticketing. It was the first railway in Europe to have mobile telephone ticketing. The priorities for development of regional services in eastern Austria and for investment in rolling stock are described. OeBB has ordered 120 Bombardier Talent emus and 50 double-deck coaches for commuter services in the eastern region. OeBB is also working on the specification for new S-Bahn units. The growth of services from Austria to eastern Europe is outlined. The decision to run more trains between south and north Vienna has improved the utilisation of rolling stock and increased demand. The potential for future competition from other rail operators is considered.
- RODEN, A
- Publication Date: 2006-12
- Pagination: 16-9
- EUROPEAN RAIL OUTLOOK
- Publisher: Simmons-Boardman Publishing Corporation
- TRT Terms: Interviewing; Investments; Payment; Public transit; Railroad transportation; Rolling stock; Traveler information and communication systems; Urban areas
- Geographic Terms: Austria; Europe
- ITRD Terms: 8007: Austria; 8034: Europe; 9147: Interview; 227: Investment; 8786: Passenger information; 272: Payment; 744: Public transport; 1173: Rail bound transport; 1266: Rolling stock; 313: Urban area
- Subject Areas: Finance; Operations and Traffic Management; Planning and Forecasting; Public Transportation; Railroads; I70: Traffic and Transport; I72: Traffic and Transport Planning;
- Accession Number: 01050803
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Transport Research Laboratory
- Files: ITRD
- Created Date: Jun 5 2007 12:14AM