PROPOSED OCEAN DUMPING CONVENTION. (LEGISLATIVE ACTION)
The action under consideration is the signature and ratification by the United States of a convention similar to the proposed draft Convention for the Prevention of Marine Pollution by Dumping produced by the Intergovernmental Meetings on Ocean Dumping at Reykjavik, Iceland and London. It would prohibit all deliberate disposal at sea from vessels and aircraft of certain dangerous substances, and require permits for the dumping of other substances in accordance with detailed criteria. The proposed convention would improve the quality of the marine and coastal environments. No harmful effects on the environment are expected.
Department of StateWashington, DC USA
- Publication Date: 1972-9
- Pagination: 94 p.
- TRT Terms: Cooperation; International; International compacts; Policy; Pollution control; Regulation; Water quality management
- Old TRIS Terms: Pollution abatement measures; Water pollution regulation
- Subject Areas: Environment; Marine Transportation; Policy;
- Accession Number: 00041495
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: ELR-5377
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Mar 2 1973 12:00AM