Summary of Vehicle Occupant Protection Laws, Seventh Edition, Current as of January 1, 2006
This publication reports the status of State statutes that are concerned with vehicle occupant protection (except off-highway vehicles). Such laws include requiring the use of (1) safety belts, (2) child passenger restraint devices, and (3) motorcycle or bicycle helmets. Also included are laws that prohibit riding in the bed of a pickup truck. Except as noted, the status of the State laws reported is January 1, 2006. This publication is divided into three areas: (1) Introduction; (2) Summary Table; (3) a State-by-State Analysis. The State-by-State Analysis is organized by State and then by specific legal topics. The State-by-State Analysis includes code and, where needed, case law citations; these should help individuals conducting additional research in this area of the law. The State-by-State Analysis can be used to facilitate the comparison of State laws in the subject areas.
- Record URL:
- This publication is also available on CD.
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Publication Date: 2006-3
- Media Type: Web
- Edition: Seventh Edition
- Pagination: 182p
- TRT Terms: Bicycle helmets; Child restraint systems; Highway safety; Motorcycle helmets; Occupant protection devices; Pickup trucks; Seat belts; State laws; States; Traffic safety; Vehicle occupants
- Subject Areas: Highways; Law; Passenger Transportation; Safety and Human Factors; Vehicles and Equipment; I81: Accident Statistics;
- Accession Number: 01050464
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: HS-810 570
- Files: HSL, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: May 30 2007 2:50PM