FREIGHT-CAR TRUCKS: THE RADIALS ARE COMING--OR ARE THEY?
The performance of North American freight car trucks continues to be investigated. What is required are a graduated series of performance improvements matched to requirements of different classes of freight traffic and different track alignments, along with information on corresponding increments of truck investment that will provide them. Current advanced freight car trucks are discussed and the status of FRA's Truck Design Optimization Project, Phase II, is summarized. Still to be determined is whether there is a truck design that makes a significant improvement in overall performance within the perceived narrow confines of acceptable added cost.
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/oclc/1586268
Simmons-Boardman Publishing Corporation508 Birch Street
Bristol, CT United States 06010
- Publication Date: 1978-12-11
- Features: Photos;
- Pagination: p. 14-19
- TRT Terms: Development; Economic analysis; Freight cars; Harmonics; Hunting (Dynamics); Research; Research projects; Ride quality; Rocking; Rolling; Steering; Suspension systems; Trucks; Vehicle design; Vehicle dynamics; Wear; Wheels
- Uncontrolled Terms: Research and development
- Old TRIS Terms: Freight car dynamics; Harmonic roll; Rock and roll
- Subject Areas: Design; Economics; Motor Carriers; Railroads; Research; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00188084
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Feb 27 1979 12:00AM