BENEFICIAL EFFECTS ASSOCIATED WITH FREEWAY CONSTRUCTION--ENVIRONMENTAL, SOCIAL, AND ECONOMIC
This report, which will assist in the identification of the positive impact of new highway facilities and will be useful in the preparation of the environmental impact statements, presents the results of an exhaustive literature search identifying a wide range of positive benefits related to freeway construction. Negative impacts that occur in conjunction with the more significant identified benefits are also addressed. Environmental benefits include: effects on the physical components; effects on the biotic component; and improvements to the aesthetic quality of the environment. Social benefits to both users and nonusers, effects on population distribution and improved interaction and communication are considered. Economic benefits are reflected in economic growth, reduction in accidents and fatalities, as well as those derived from improved efficiency in all kinds of public services. Literature dealing with these effects is reviewed, analyzed and evaluated. A matrix of beneficial effects is provided that further categorizes the effects as being found primarily in urban or rural areas of short-run or long-run duration, and of a direct or indirect nature. Extensive bibliographies are included.
- Record URL:
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/issn/00775614
- Distribution, posting, or copying of this PDF is strictly prohibited without written permission of the Transportation Research Board of the National Academy of Sciences. Unless otherwise indicated, all materials in this PDF are copyrighted by the National Academy of Sciences. Copyright © National Academy of Sciences. All rights reserved.
Washington, DC United States 20001
- Gamble, H B
- Davinroy, T B
- Publication Date: 1978
- Media Type: Digital/other
- Pagination: 110 p.
- NCHRP Report
- Issue Number: 193
- Publisher: Transportation Research Board
- ISSN: 0077-5614
Open Access (libre)
- TRT Terms: Aesthetics; Benefits; Bibliographies; Communications; Economic impacts; Environmental impact statements; Environmental impacts; Freeways; Level of service; Population; Prevention; Reviews; Road construction; Rural areas; Safety; Social factors; Urban areas
- Uncontrolled Terms: Services
- Subject Areas: Construction; Design; Economics; Environment; Highways; Safety and Human Factors; Security and Emergencies; Society;
- Accession Number: 00185412
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS, TRB, ATRI
- Created Date: Mar 28 1979 12:00AM