Botniabanan - a Swedish pioneer project

Progress with the Bothnia railway line in northern Sweden is outlined. The new line replaces an existing trunk line located 40km off the coast. The construction of the Bothnia line will cost 13 billion SEK (1.4 billion Euros). The Swedish state owns 91% of the company Botniabanan AB, which will finance and construct the railway, with the remaining 9% owned by the municipalities Kramfors, Oernskoeldsvik, Nordmaling and Umeae. The project is characterised by measures taken to protect the environment, a design enabling passenger trains to run at a maximum speed of 250km/h and freight traffic to run at 120 km/h, and the installation of the European radio-based traffic management system, RETMS, without optical signalling. Details are given of the financing of the Bothnia Line railway.

Language

  • English

Media Info

  • Pagination: 13-8
  • Serial:

Subject/Index Terms

Filing Info

  • Accession Number: 01045813
  • Record Type: Publication
  • Source Agency: Transport Research Laboratory
  • Files: ITRD
  • Created Date: Apr 5 2007 12:20PM