STEVENAGE NEW TOWN - ENGLAND

Stevenage was established as a new town in 1946 to assist the problems of London by providing a location for industry and workers wishing to move out of the city. The town is expected to grow to a population of about 90000 by 1990. The centre is broadly divided into two distinct parts by a north-south distributor road. To the east are the shops and stores, and to the west the offices and entertainment buildings. The shopping area is one of the earliest comprehensive pedestrian centres. Attention is paid in this paper to access, peripheral roads, service roads, car parks, cycle and pedestrian links, pedestrian aspects and the critical location of shopping car parks. /TRRL/

  • Corporate Authors:

    International Federation of Pedestrian Assoc

    Passage 61 III
    S-Gravenhage,   Netherlands 
  • Authors:
    • Lenthall, R B
  • Publication Date: 1977

Media Info

Subject/Index Terms

Filing Info

  • Accession Number: 00184472
  • Record Type: Publication
  • Source Agency: Transport and Road Research Laboratory (TRRL)
  • Files: ITRD, TRIS
  • Created Date: Mar 14 1981 12:00AM