SURVEY OF GROUND TRANSPORTATION AT THE DALLAS-FORT WORTH REGIONAL AIRPORT (ABRIDGMENT)

Three types of trips (those made by air passengers and visitors in private vehicles, those made on public transportation, and those made by employees) were investigated separately for the purposes of this survey, conducted on May 16 and 20, 1975. Data on private travel was obtained from roadside interviews conducted on outgoing lanes of the airport access roads, and passengers on the express bus service to the airport were given a questionnaire upon boarding, while the employee survey questionnaires were distributed via the employers. The over-all survey revealed that the express bus service accounted for 4.2 percent of person trips but only 0.8 percent of the vehicular traffic due to the higher occupancy rates of buses. When employees (whose use of private vehicles account for 96.3 percent of their person trips) are excluded, it was found that the express bus service accounts for 10.9 percent of the air passenger trips and that all public transportation modes account for 25.7 percent of air passenger trips. The other 74.3 percent of air passenger trips were made via private vehicles. As a result of this project it is recommended that future travel surveys of this type meticulously screen survey forms for possible confusing formulations and give adequate attention to the recruiting, training, scheduling, and supervision of survey staff, with consideration, where feasible, of rotating staff among various tasks as to alleviate monotony and enhance efficiency.

Media Info

  • Media Type: Print
  • Features: References; Tables;
  • Pagination: pp 6-8
  • Monograph Title: Airport capacity and planning
  • Serial:

Subject/Index Terms

Filing Info

  • Accession Number: 00184217
  • Record Type: Publication
  • ISBN: 0309026849
  • Files: TRIS, TRB
  • Created Date: Dec 29 1982 12:00AM