MARINE TRANSPORTATION IN ICE COVERED WATERS: AN ESTIMATE OF FUTURE CAPABILITY
The purpose of this paper is to provide an estimate of the capability of future marine transportation systems in ice covered waters and is based on the assumption that the economic justification for developing the required technology will exist. This paper is presented in three sections. The first section describes some recent technical efforts that have been conducted in ice covered waters. The second section presents an estimate of future capability of marine vehicles and offshore structures in ice. The final section summarizes the paper and discusses the type of programs which will have to be undertaken if these forecasts are to be realized.
- Presented at Arctic Institute of North America Workshop in Seattle, Washington.
Arctec, IncorporatedWilde Lake Village Green, Suite 255
Columbia, MD United States 21044
- Voelker, R P
- Publication Date: 1972-11-14
- Pagination: 10 p.
- TRT Terms: Cold weather; Feasibility analysis; Force; Forecasting; Ice; Icebreaking; Resistance (Mechanics)
- Candidate Terms: Ice forecasting
- Geographic Terms: Arctic Regions
- Old TRIS Terms: Arctic transportation; Ice forces on structures; Pressure ridge characteristics
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Planning and Forecasting;
- Accession Number: 00041378
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Arctec, Incorporated
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Mar 2 1973 12:00AM