DOMESTIC AND INTERNATIONAL TRANSPORTATION OF U.S. FOREIGN TRADE: 1970
The primary purpose of the survey was to collect information on the domestic origins and distributions of commodities moving in U.S. foreign trade. This information has been collected, processed, and stored on magnetic tape (Public Use Tapes) which has been made available to the general public. This report has been prepared to document the survey design and methodology, and to present significant highlights in order for the user to better understand and appreciate the data contained in the Public Use Tape. This has been accomplished to a significant degree by supplementing the test with tables, charts, etc. This survey includes "liner-type" commodities moving internationally by vessel or air. The questionnaires used in the survey also requested information on containerization. The information on the domestic movement includes major means of transportation between significant points and the distance moved, and commodity weight and value; each commodity is coded in the most common codes, with U.S. geographic points designated for the State, and the production/market area Large SMSA's or groups of contiguous SMSA's).
- The survey from which the data in this report was obtained was sponsored jointly by the Department of Transportation, Office of the Secretary and Office of Systems Analysis and Information, and the Department of the Army, Corps of Engineers, North Central Division, Buffalo District, and the Institute for Water Resources. The data was collected and processed by the Bureau of the Census
Bureau of Customs2100 K Street, NW
Washington, DC USA
- Publication Date: 1972
- Pagination: 86 p.
- TRT Terms: Commodities; Exports; Freight documents; Freight transportation; Imports; International trade; Statistics; Trade
- Old TRIS Terms: Cargo information systems; Cargo movement; Commodity statistics; Trade analysis; Trade statistics
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Data and Information Technology; Freight Transportation; Marine Transportation; Railroads; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00041325
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Office of Policy and International Affairs/OST
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Mar 2 1973 12:00AM