A NEW CLASS OF LOCOMOTIVE
South African Railways has acquired 3780-kw, 50 kv electric locomotives for handling the ore trains on its new 864-km iron ore line from Sishen to Saldanha. Three of these units in multiple handle the 20,200-ton trains. The thyristor locomotives have full-width cabs designed for long spells of duty under severe tropical conditions, including full air conditioning. The roof is lowered at the rear end of the narrow-gauge units for nearly half the length of the unit to give sufficient clearance for the 50-kv pantograph installation, vacuum circuit breaker and surge arrestor.
Thomson PublicationsP.O. Box 8308
Johannesburg 2000, South Africa
- Publication Date: 1978-8
- Features: Photos;
- Pagination: 7 p.
- Publisher: Thomson Publications
- TRT Terms: Circuit breakers; Direct current motors; Electric locomotives; Railroad electrification; Thyristors
- Candidate Terms: Traction drives
- Identifier Terms: Spoornet
- Subject Areas: Construction; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00183571
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Dec 3 1978 12:00AM