SOUTHERN PACIFIC MOTIVE POWER ANNUAL 1971
In addition to complete details of SP's current locomotive ownership, the Annual again contains a feature. This year there are 28 pages on General Electric internal-combustion motive power as it was used on the big Western road. SP acquired secondhand the very earliest of GE's gasoline-electric locomotives built in 1913. Since then, almost 300 other diesel-electric units have been acquired from that builder, including a substantial fleet of GE's low-horsepower switchers built in the 1940s and 1950s as well as most models of the U series introduced since 1962. The author observes that "the story of GE locomotives on SP isn't yet complete." Whether or not the proposed electrification finally reaches the hardware stage, there will be more GE units purchased since "it is difficult for even Espee to comparatively evaluate the products of the two domestic builders and determine who is selling the 'best' locomotives.
- The announcement for this Annual appeared in Railway Locomotives and Cars, V146, N6, June 1972.
Chatam Publishing Company1012 Oak Grove Avenue
Burlingame, CA USA 94101
- Strapac, J
- Publication Date: 1972
- Features: Photos;
- Pagination: 68 p.
- TRT Terms: Locomotives; Railroad electrification; Vehicle design
- Old TRIS Terms: Locomotive design
- Subject Areas: Design; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00041300
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Railway Locomotives and Cars
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Apr 27 1973 12:00AM