SMALL SCALE URBAN PUBLIC TRANSPORT: LESSONS FROM THE INDONESIAN EXPERIENCE?
Small scale motorised vehicles carrying seven to eleven passengers constitute the backbone of public transport in most larger Indonesian cities. This paper describes the technology of the bemo, the organisation under which it operates, and its role in the public transport systems of East Javanese cities of Malang and Surabaya. The impact of the recent introduction of city buses to Surabaya is discussed. In the light of Indonesian experience, suggestions are made for some simple innovations in Australian public transport systems, in particular for the introduction of unscheduled shared taxis on semi-fixed routes. /Author/TRRL/
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/issn/03136655
- Australia Transport Research Forum, Fourth Annual Meeting, May 24-26, 1978, Perth, Forum Papers.
Director General of Transport Western Australia68 St Georges Terrace
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
- DICK, H W
- Publication Date: 1978
- Pagination: 112 p.
- Publication of: Western Australia Director General of Transport
- Publisher: Western Australia Director General of Transport
- ISSN: 0313-6655
- TRT Terms: Business districts; Central business districts; Conferences; Itinerary; Minibuses; Organizations; Public transit; Ridesharing; Taxi services; Taxicabs; Urban areas; Urban transportation
- Uncontrolled Terms: Shared taxi
- Geographic Terms: Indonesia
- ITRD Terms: 302: Business district; 8525: Conference; 8046: Indonesia; 699: Itinerary; 1091: Marshalling yard; 9057: Organization (association); 744: Public transport; 1084: Stop (public transport); 1148: Taxi; 311: Town centre; 313: Urban area
- Subject Areas: Highways; Operations and Traffic Management; Planning and Forecasting; Public Transportation; I70: Traffic and Transport;
- Accession Number: 00183502
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Transport and Road Research Laboratory (TRRL)
- Report/Paper Numbers: DA-0678R
- Contract Numbers: MA-7-38026
- Files: ITRD, TRIS, ATRI
- Created Date: Dec 29 1981 12:00AM