PROSPECTS FOR THE USE OF MEDIUM-SPEED GEARED DIESEL ENGINES FOR MARINE PROPULSION
In recent years there have been studies made abroad on the possibility of using geared diesel units with medium speed engines instead of low-speed engines for merchant vessels of medium and large tonnage. This is apparently related to both the proposals calling for the construction of competitive units with such engines and the necessity of ensuring the construction of a large number of large-tonnage vessels within a short period of time. The report gives the most characteristic parameters for a number of modern medium-speed diesels of leading foreign companies.
- Translation of Sudostroenie (USSR) N10, pp 18-23, 1970.
Naval Scientific and Technical Intelligence CenterTranslation Division
Washington, DC United States
- Elistratov, F M
- Imam-Ali, M M
- Koval, G M
- Sheinin, B I
- Publication Date: 1972-6-30
- Pagination: 18 p.
- TRT Terms: Diesel engines; Fuel consumption; Gears; Propulsion
- Old TRIS Terms: Diesel propulsion; Geared diesel engines; Medium speed diesels
- Subject Areas: Energy; Marine Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00041276
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: NAVSTIC-Trans-3319
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Feb 23 1973 12:00AM