A MATHEMATICAL FORMULATION FOR SELECTING HOLDING-TANK-PROCESSOR REQUIREMENTS FOR SHIPBOARD SEWAGE TREATMENT
The paper describes a formulation of the problem that systems designers face in selecting a combination of holding tank and processor for shipboard sewage treatment systems. Two decision models are discussed within this framework. In one case the generation of sewage, aboard ships, is assumed to consist of deterministic arrival streams. In a second model, sewage generation is assumed to behave in accordance with a Poisson process. Allowances for maintenance and reliability are discussed.
Naval Postgraduate School1 University Circle
Monterey, CA USA 93943
- Thomas, M U
- Publication Date: 1972-7
- Pagination: 26 p.
- TRT Terms: Sanitary engineering; Sewage holding tanks; Sewage treatment; Ships; Tanks (Containers)
- Old TRIS Terms: Holding tanks; Sewage treatment systems; Shipboard sewage treatment
- Subject Areas: Environment; Marine Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00041272
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: NPS-55TO72071A Tech Rpt
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Feb 23 1973 12:00AM