TRANSPORTATION TECHNOLOGY FOR DEVELOPMENT. VOLUME I
This report provides background information on the technology of various transportation modes and their capabilities. It is intended primarily for use by economists, program officers, general engineers, and others in the economic development field. Information is included on the broad capacities of particular modes to handle freight and passenger traffic; major features and the advantages and limitations of each mode in terms of technical capabilities; levels of technological sophistication that can be adopted within each mode; and the 'inputs' of right-of-way preparation and construction, materials, vehicles, equipment, maintenance, and manpower required at each level to produce an 'output' of transport service. Volume One contains sections on: Intermodal factors of choice in transportation; highway transportation; railway transportation; conventional air transportation; V/STOL aircraft; inland waterway transportation; oceanway transportation; pipeline transportation; and intermodal/freight exchange.
- See also Volume 2, MRIS #040902.
Battelle Memorial Institute505 King Avenue
Columbus, OH USA 43201
- Cheaney, E S
- Leis, R D
- Landreman, D M
- Publication Date: 1968-2
- Pagination: 488 p.
- TRT Terms: Economics; Freight handling; Freight transportation; Inland waterways; Intermodal transportation; Marine transit; Network analysis (Planning); Technology; Transportation; Transportation planning
- Old TRIS Terms: Cargo transportation; Inland waterways economics; Transportation technology
- Subject Areas: Economics; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 00041269
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: TA/OST-AN-68-2-1
- Contract Numbers: AID/csd-762
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Feb 23 1978 12:00AM