FORKLIFT COURSE STARTED
A comprehensive forklift driver training program designed for the specialized needs of containerized shipping operations has been established by Sea-Land Service. The program is intended to acquaint drivers with equipment design and techniques for safe operation. The most important part of the basic two-hour session concerns "protecting others and yourself". A one-hour classroom unit consists of a slide presentation and discussion among drivers. The meeting leader invites comment about personal experiences to reinforce the information featured in the slides. A driving test completes the basic program. It requires drivers to negotiate a course set up in advance that involves careful maneuvering in tight places with a load in the forks. Because the forklift is used throughout the industry, Sea-Land is making the training program available to other companies on request. Further information is available from Frank Casey, Sea-Land Service, P.O. Box 1050, Elizabeth, NJ 07207, phone 201-289-6000.
Communication Channels, Incorporated6151 Powers Ferry Road, N.W.
Atlanta, GA United States 30339-2941
- Publication Date: 1978-8
- Pagination: p. 41
- TRT Terms: Cargo handling equipment; Container handling; Fork lifts; Loss and damage; Occupational safety; Training; Training programs
- Old TRIS Terms: Cargo damage prevention; Personnel safety
- Subject Areas: Education and Training; Freight Transportation; Marine Transportation; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00180228
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Communication Channels, Incorporated
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Sep 27 1978 12:00AM