CYCLOIDAL PROPELLER AND ITS SIGNIFICANCE FOR THE PROPULSION OF SPECIAL-PURPOSE VESSELS
The paper presents a condensed historical review of the beginnings of the cycloidal propeller as an introduction. The hydraulic interrelationships for this propeller and the development from the principle to the modern ship propulsion unit are briefly discussed. An explanation of the most essential components is given in a review of the present-day design of the Voith-Schneider Propeller. The importance of this propulsion system for the current, most varied operating conditions is emphasized on the basis of some typical examples. Also presented is a description of a new development of the Voith-Schneider Propeller, fitted with a worm gear unit, and a review of the power range for the application of Voith-Schneider Propellers.
- Presented at the International Waterborne Transportation Conference, 2nd, ASCE Urban Transportation Division, New York, New York, October 5-7, 1977.
New York, NY United States 10017-2398
- Sturmhoefel, U
- Publication Date: 1978
- Pagination: p. 323-357
- TRT Terms: Cycloidal propellers; Propellers; Propulsion; Ships; Vehicle design
- Old TRIS Terms: Propeller design
- Subject Areas: Design; Marine Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00180209
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Engineering Index
- Report/Paper Numbers: Proceeding
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Sep 27 1978 12:00AM