SELECTION CRITERIA FOR MEDIUM-SPEED DIESEL ENGINES
The paper is confined to modern medium-speed engines of eight well-known European manufacturers. All the engines are trunk-piston four-stroke models with turbocharging and intercooling, and are capable of running on heavy oil of up to at least 1,500 sec. Redwood No. 1. Their speed lies in the 375 to 750 rpm range, and they can be grouped according to their cylinder bores thus: 350 to 450, 450 to 550, and 550 to 650 mm. The cylinder-power (mcr) ranges of these groups are, respectively, 370-550, 625-885, and 920-1,325 kW; engine power (mcr) ranges from 2 to 25 MW, with some overlap between the groups. The Author, of Blohm & Voss, discusses (without discriminating between makes of engine) the selection and layout of such engines for single- and twin-engine installations (it is not necessary to have more than two engines, except that four can be advantageous for some ferries). The paper is arranged under the main headings: 1. Engines Available for selection. 2. Engine Characteristics (1--Number and arrangement of cylinders. 2--Design, and operational (loading) data. 3--Power. 4--Weight and dimension. 5--Cost. 6--Maintenance. 7--Fuel and lubricating oil. 8--Other characteristics). 3. Propulsion-System Layout (1--Determination of required propulsion power. 2--Number of engines. 3--Determination of total number of cylinders. 4--Propeller choice and arrangement. 5--gearing, couplings, and generator drive). Order from: BSRA as No. 48,862.
- This is an abridged version of part of a course held at Hanover Technical University.
Schroedter (C) and CompanyStubbenhuk 10
Hamburg 11, Germany
- Grabbe, D
- Publication Date: 1978-3
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 8 p.
- Volume: 115
- Issue Number: 6
- Publisher: Deutsche Bahn AG
- TRT Terms: Costs; Couplers; Design; Diesel engines; Diesel fuels; Gears; Propellers; Propulsion; Screw propellers; Vehicle design; Vehicle maintenance
- Old TRIS Terms: Diesel design; Diesel maintenance; Diesel propulsion costs; Gear design; Medium speed diesels; Propeller selection; Twin screws
- Subject Areas: Design; Finance; Maintenance and Preservation; Marine Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00180061
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: British Ship Research Association
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Sep 27 1978 12:00AM