SOME OBSERVATIONS ON DISABILITY GLARE
The classical definition of glare in terms of an equivalent veiling luminance, formulated by Holladay and also by styles is given and the scattering of light by elements of the eye is described. The differential sensitivity of cane and rod retinal receptors to obliquely incident light is noted. The effects of age and pathological conditions on the visual response to glare are described and the needs of the presbyopic individual, ergonomically, are emphasised. It is shown that disability glare operates in a subtle fashion, affecting the visibility of objects of appreciable size when seen at low contrast by persons with apparently satisfactory (suellen) acuity. The creation of disability glare from light scattered at the surfaces of spectacles, visors and windscreens is discussed and the need to limit glare particularly from streetlighting installations and vehicle headlights, as a result, is stressed. /Author/TRRL/
- Record URL:
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/issn/00050164
- 1977 ARRB Glare Seminar Program and Papers.
ARRB Group Ltd.Vermont South, Victoria Australia
- Cole, B L
- Publication Date: 1977-11
- Features: Figures; References;
- Pagination: 14 p.
- Publication of: Australian Road Research Board
- Publisher: ARRB Group Ltd.
- ISSN: 0005-0164
- TRT Terms: Age; Conferences; Drivers; Eyeglasses; Glare; Headlamps; Luminance; Physical disabilities; Street lighting; Vehicle accessories; Visibility; Vision; Windshields
- Old TRIS Terms: Driver vision; Driver visor
- ITRD Terms: 1757: Age; 8525: Conference; 1677: Glare; 1342: Headlamp; 545: Lighting (street); 525: Luminance; 6783: Visibility; 2066: Vision; 1311: Windscreen (veh)
- Subject Areas: Highways; Safety and Human Factors; Vehicles and Equipment; I83: Accidents and the Human Factor; I85: Safety Devices used in Transport Infrastructure;
- Accession Number: 00179995
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Transport and Road Research Laboratory (TRRL)
- Files: ITRD, TRIS
- Created Date: Sep 27 1978 12:00AM