STRIPPABLE RESERVES OF BITUMINOUS COAL AND LIGNITE IN THE UNITED STATES
The strippable reserves of bituminous coal and lignite in the United States were calculated in accordance with the prevailing conditions of seam thickness and depth of overburden in each of the several coal-producing areas of the nation. Within defined limits of seam thickness and depth of overburden, it is estimated that there was a remaining strippable resource of 118 billion tons of raw bituminous coal and lignite as of January 1, 1968. Because of topography, natural and manmade features, and other limitations, only 45 billion tons of the resources are strippable reserves. Of this 32 billion tons is considered low sulfur (less than 1 percent), 4 billion tons is medium-sulfur (1 to 2 percent), and 9 billion tons is high-sulfur (over 2 percent) coal. Owing to a cleaning loss affecting that protion of strip coal that is mechanically cleaned, the 45 billion tons of strippable reserves are reduced to 39.6 billion tons of marketable coal. A brief discussion is given for each coal-producing state, summarizing past and present production, historical background, and outlook. Appendix A contains reserve data by state, county, seam, and sulfur content. Appendix B contains the general information and requirements necessary to comply with the current strip mining laws covering 20 states.
- Notification of this information circular appears in the Bureau of Mines--New Publications, January 1972, Monthly List 681. The report itself was prepared by the staff of of the Bureau of Mines.
Bureau of MinesCollege Park Research Center
College Park, MD USA 20742
- Publication Date: 1971
- Features: Figures;
- Pagination: 148 p.
- TRT Terms: Coal; Coal industry; Coal resources; Freight traffic; Freight transportation; Mineral resources; Minerals; Natural resources
- Geographic Terms: United States
- Old TRIS Terms: Mineral traffic
- Subject Areas: Freight Transportation; Geotechnology; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00040990
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Bureau of Mines
- Report/Paper Numbers: IC 8531
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Apr 27 1973 12:00AM