TRANSIENT BEHAVIOUR OF GASTURBO-ELECTRIC PROPULSION PLANT WITH SINGLE SHAFT GAS TURBINE AND FIXED PITCH PROPELLER
System dynamics of a gasturboelectric propulsion plant with single shaft gasturbine, ac-synchronnous generator and propellermotor driving a fixed pitch propeller are examined. The fixed pitch propeller requires the gasturbine to run with variable rpm between nominal load and lower load limit caused by the compressor stall line. Below this limit the propeller motor is connected to the gasturbine-generator-set then running with constant rpm by means of a thyristor set. Special attention is paid to gasturbine dynamics. Various gasturbine simulation models with or without regard of mass- and heat-storage within the turbomachines and the dynamic response of a recuperator are compared in their influence on a container ship's stopping characteristics. While the engine behaviour is strongly affected by storage effects, the effect on ship's dynamics is small. Stopping ability of this ship is comparable to similar craft with conventional plants. In case of the gasturboelectric system it can be further improved by various means, which are discussed.
- Proceedings Fifth Ship Control Systems Symposium, David W. Taylor Naval Ship Research and Development Center, Annapolis, Maryland, October 30-November 3, 1978, Volume 2.
David Taylor Naval Ship R&D CenterBethesda, MD USA 20084
- ROHKAMM, E
- Publication Date: 1978
- Pagination: n.p.
- TRT Terms: Control systems; Dynamic loads; Gas turbines; Generators; Loads; Performance; Propellers; Propulsion; Simulation; Stopping; Transient analyzers; Turbines; Vehicle power plants
- Uncontrolled Terms: Dynamic response; Transient analysis
- Old TRIS Terms: Crash stop maneuver; Fixed pitch propellers; Propulsion machinery controls; Stopping characteristics; Turboelectric propulsion; Turbomachinery
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00187985
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: David Taylor Naval Ship R&D Center
- Report/Paper Numbers: Proceeding
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Feb 3 1979 12:00AM