INTERSTATE COMMERCE COMMISSION (ICC) WAYBILL STATISTICS
The ICC has conducted a continuing one-percent sample of waybills since 1946. In 1970, the sample became part of the Department of Transportation Comprehensive Freight Flow Data Program. The statistics obtained from this sample provide traffic flow data between any two points by commodity type. Items in the waybill include number of cars; car initial, number, type, and weight; revenue; STCC commodity type; and origin and destination. Material from the 1930s and early 1940s to 1966 is available from the ICC library (in photocopy). Data for 1969 and 1972 to the present may be obtained from the Federal Railroad Administration (FRA) of the Department of Transportation. To obtain data from either source, a one-page request must be filed with the Office of Policy and Analysis, ICC, that details the specific data wanted and for what purpose they are to be used. The request will be reviewed by the ICC, and, if approved, forwarded to the FRA for release. There are restrictions on data disclosure that protect the identity of shippers, carriers, and other providers of information.
- Currently, waybill statistics are being integrated into the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Waterborne Commerce Statistics Center (WCSC) data system to enable the tracing of commodity flows to and from waterways. For information, call (202) 275-7684.
Interstate Commerce CommissionOffice of Policy and Analysis
Washington, DC United States 20423
- Publication Date: 0
- TRT Terms: Analysis; Commodities; Freight traffic; Freight transportation; Origin and destination; Statistics; Waterways
- Old TRIS Terms: Cargo movement; Commodity statistics; Traffic analysis (Freight); Waterways commerce statistics
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Freight Transportation; Marine Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00187195
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Interstate Commerce Commission
- Report/Paper Numbers: Data base
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Mar 14 1979 12:00AM