SHIP DATA BANK SYSTEM
The Panama Canal Company data system is a library of statistical data on ships that have transited the Canal or called at Canal ports. Daily reports are provided to pilots and other operating personnel for use in transit and port operation, and summary reports are made to management on tolls, revenue, time in Canal Zone waters, and other measures of Canal operating performance. In addition, data on types and quantities of cargo transited, trade routes, ship types, etc., are accumulated and reported for statistical analysis. The primary sources of system input are internal and consist of documents prepared for each ship's arrival at the Panama Canal. The input consists of ship attributes and transit data and includes general information, identification, size, dimensions, tonnage capacities, operating characteristics, transit requirements, and port captains and marine traffic control remarks. There are 145 items of data on each ship's attributes and 95 items on each transit. The data are utilized to prepare reports for operational and financial review, economic analysis, financial forecasting, and long-range planning. The data are also available for use in preparing reports to do research for Canal capacity, tolls, and other special studies. The principal reports produced are: Information Report for Daily Operations; Tolls Revenue Report; Information Report for Current and Future Planning; and Analysis and Performance Report.
- The Washington office is located at 425 13th Street, NW, Washington, D.C. 20004. The phone number is (202) 724-0104.
Panama Canal CompanyP.O. Box M
Balboa Heights, Canal Zone, USA
- Publication Date: 0
- TRT Terms: Analysis; Canal operations; Canal transit; Canals; Economic analysis; Freight transportation; Information systems; Port operations; Ship motion; Statistical analysis; Tolls; Trade routes; Traffic control; Travel time; Water traffic; Water transportation
- Identifier Terms: Panama Canal
- Old TRIS Terms: Cargo movement; Maritime information systems; Ship movements; Toll operations
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Economics; Education and Training; Freight Transportation; Marine Transportation; Operations and Traffic Management; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00187095
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Library of Congress
- Report/Paper Numbers: Data base
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Nov 14 1978 12:00AM