PREDICTING MOISTURE INDUCED DAMAGE TO ASPHALT-CONCRETE DESIGN MIXES (E-MODULUS) IMPLEMENTATION OF RESEARCH
Many asphalt, aggregate, mineral filler and chemical additive combinations were tested for the correlation of the "E" Modulus Test with visual assessment of the condition of the asphalt aggregate specimen and the results of other tests methods including Marshall Method, Resilient Modulus, Immersion Compression and Maximum Tensile Stress. Specimens used in conventional tests were treated in the manner prescribed by the method. Specimens for "E" Modulus, Resilient Modulus and Maximum Tensile Stress were tested both before and after subjecting them to severe artificial conditions that were conceived as comparable to several years of natural exposure to the elements. "E" Modulus was judged to be too inconsistent with other variables to be used as an acceptable criteria. The data suggests that Maximum Tensile Stress and Resilient Modulus tests would be valid tools for the evaluation of asphalt aggregate susceptibility to moisture damage. Immersion Compression data could be interpreted to provide information about stripping resistance and could serve to aid in the fabrication of mixes with reduced moisture susceptibility. The Marshall Method Testing provided inconsistent indications of moisture susceptibility using either flow or stability values. /FHWA/
- Sponsored by U.S. Department of Transportation, Federal Highway Administration.
Montana Department of HighwaysMaterials Bureau, 2701 Prospect Avenue
Helena, MT United States 59620
- Burce, B J
- Publication Date: 1978
- Pagination: n.p.
- TRT Terms: Aggregates; Asphalt mixtures; Compression tests; Forecasting; Marshall test; Mix design; Moisture content; Reliability; Tension; Test procedures
- Uncontrolled Terms: Tensile stress
- Old TRIS Terms: Immersion compression test
- Subject Areas: Geotechnology; Highways; Materials;
- Accession Number: 00185250
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Federal Highway Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA-MT-7926-02 Final Rpt.
- Files: TRIS, USDOT, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Feb 27 1979 12:00AM