COMMUNITY TRANSPORT PROVISION IN BIRMINGHAM
The paper is basically a descriptive summary of the results from investigations into the nature and extent of voluntary and social services transport in Birmingham. The work consisted of: (i) detailed interview surveys covering 32 voluntary organisations; (ii) a back-up postal questionnaire sent out to a total of 582 organisations. It was sponsored by the Transport and Road Research Laboratory. Although the elderly and handicapped formed a large proportion of the users, there was also a sigificant amount of transport provided for children and families, youth clubs and other specific groups. Transport services are provided mainly by minibuses (owned or hired) and volunteer drivers using their own cars. Generally the services are provided entirely free to passengers; being financed by local fund-raising schemes and grants. Drives are drawn from a variety of social groups, but recently retired people appear to be the most suitable. The majority of elderly and handicapped people travelling on such services find it physically impossible to use public transport, so that there is little if any duplication. Although voluntary transport in many cases provides for the majority of their travel needs these are generally low because of the extent of in-home services (e.g. meals-on-wheels).
- The title of the paper does not appear in the Table of Contents. From the Proceedings of the International Conference on Transport for the Elderly and the Handicapped, sponsored by the Transportation Research Board, Transport and Road Research Laboratory, England, and the Ministere d'Equipment (Transports) France.
Loughborough UniversityTransport Studies Group
Department of Civil and Building Engineering
Loughborough, Leicestershire United Kingdom LE11 3TU
- BAILEY, J M
- Mobility for the Elderly and the Handicapped. The International Conference on Transport for the Elderly and Handicapped
- Location: Cambridge , United Kingdom
- Date: 1978-4-4 to 1978-4-7
- Publication Date: 1978
- Media Type: Print
- Pagination: pp 156-163.
- Monograph Title: MOBILITY FOR THE ELDERLY AND THE HANDICAPPED. PROCEEDINGS OF THE INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON TRANSPORT FOR THE ELDERLY AND HANDICAPPED AT CAMBRIDGE, APRIL 4-7 1978
- TRT Terms: Adolescents; Aged; Automobiles; Drivers; Families; Free fares; Groups; Minibuses; Needs assessment; Physically handicapped persons; Private transportation
- Identifier Terms: Transed
- Uncontrolled Terms: User needs
- Old TRIS Terms: Free transportation; Minors; Special service
- Subject Areas: Highways; Planning and Forecasting; Public Transportation; Society;
- Accession Number: 00184912
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Feb 3 1981 12:00AM