HIGHWAY ASSISTANCE PROGRAMS: A HISTORICAL PERSPECTIVE
Past legislation is reviewed here as an aid to understanding both the existing highway program and some of the pressures to change that program. This chronological survey of the federal legislation concentrates on the formation and evolution of the Highway Trust Fund. The major characteristics of previous legislation are highlighted and trends in program specification and funding are identified. Finance and taxation aspects are examined and the cost allocation to trucks is discussed. Program features such as federal-state relationship, the federal share in the Trust Fund, and apportionment are also discussed. Other aspects covered here include the urban controversy and program categories and transferability.
United States CongressCongressional Budget Office
Washington, DC United States 20510
- Publication Date: 1978-2
- Features: Appendices; Tables;
- Pagination: n.p.
- TRT Terms: Federal government; Financing; Highway planning; Intergovernmental relations; Laws; State government; Taxation
- Identifier Terms: Highway Trust Fund
- Geographic Terms: United States
- Subject Areas: Finance; Highways; Law;
- Accession Number: 00184605
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Feb 3 1979 12:00AM