AXISYMMETRIC POSTBUCKLING AND NONSYMMETRIC BUCKLING OF A SPHERICAL SHELL COMPRESSED BETWEEN RIGID PLATES
Presents an analysis of the stresses and deflections produced during axisymmetric postbuckling and determines the deformation states at which the shell may buckle into a nonsymmetric shape. The analysis accounts for finite deflections and rotations, but assumes that the material remains linearly elastic throughout the deformation. An experiment shows that both the primary axisymmetric bifurcation point and the secondary nonsymmetric bifurcation point are stable for a shell with R/h approximately equal to 40.
- Paper for meeting August 23-25, 1971.
American Society of Mechanical EngineersTwo Park Avenue
New York, NY United States 10016-5990
- Updike, D P
- Kalnins, A
- Publication Date: 1971-8-23
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 7 p.
- TRT Terms: Buckling; Deformation; Elastic deformation; Shells (Structural forms)
- Old TRIS Terms: Shell deformation; Spherical shells
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Materials;
- Accession Number: 00040961
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Engineering Index
- Report/Paper Numbers: Pap 71-APMW-7
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Feb 23 1973 12:00AM