DIRECT TIME INTEGRATION METHODS IN NONLINEAR STRUCTURAL DYNAMICS
This paper reviews some recent developments in direct time integration methods for nonlinear structural dynamics. The developments pertain to the use of linear multistep difference operators in conjunction with the pseudoforce approach. The paper is organized into three main sections. An introductory section provides an overview of the transient response analysis problem. A section on computational aspects deals with the organization of the numerical calculations; this material is largely based on a recent detailed study of linear dynamic calculations (1-2). A section on integration methods highlights algorithmic aspects that impact the selection of integrator for nonlinear problems and discusses adaptive analysis features such as stepsize control and implicit matrix scaling techniques. An appendix section outlines the functional organization of modular "integration driving" software.
- Research sponsored by Department of the Navy, Office of Naval Research Structural Mechanics Program (Code 474). Presented at the International Conference on Finite Elements in Nonlinear Mechanics (FENOMECH 78), University of Stuttgart, Stuttgart, West Germany, 1 September 1978.
Lockheed Missiles and Space CompanyPalo Alto Research Laboratory
Palo Alto, CA USA 94304
- Felippa, C A
- PARK, K C
- Publication Date: 1978-8
- Features: References;
- Pagination: v.p.
- TRT Terms: Dynamic loads; Structural analysis; Structural mechanics; Transient analyzers
- Uncontrolled Terms: Dynamic response; Structural response; Transient analysis
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Materials;
- Accession Number: 00183716
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Lockheed Missiles and Space Company Incorporated
- Report/Paper Numbers: LMSC-D013361 Tech Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: N00014-74-C-0355
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Dec 3 1978 12:00AM