LIMIT ANALYSIS FOR COMBINED EDGE AND PRESSURE LOADING ON A CYLINDRICAL SHELL
Equations describing the stress field and velocity field occurring in a circular cylindrical shell at plastic collapse are derived corresponding to stress states lying on each face of a yield surface for a uniform shell of material obeying the Tresca yield condition. For a sufficiently long shell, complete solutions are obtained for a fixed far end, and for a certain range of values of axial force and pressure, they are obtained for a free far end. All the solutions are represented by either closed form or by quadratures. It is shown that in many cases the radial velocity field is proportional to the shear force.
- Paper for the meeting May 10-12, 1971.
American Society of Mechanical EngineersTwo Park Avenue
New York, NY United States 10016-5990
- Ho, H S
- Updike, D P
- Publication Date: 1971-5-10
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 9 p.
- TRT Terms: Cylinders (Geometry); Plastic deformation; Plasticity; Shells (Structural forms)
- Uncontrolled Terms: Cylindrical shells
- Old TRIS Terms: Shell theory
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Materials;
- Accession Number: 00040960
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Engineering Index
- Report/Paper Numbers: Pap 71-PVP-22
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Feb 23 1973 12:00AM