CONTROL OF WELDING STANDARDS: CONSTRUCTION OF LOCOMOTIVES AND ROLLING STOCK
Welding has become an extensively used method of construction of structures for locomotives, rolling stock, plant and equipment. This paper describes the methods and practices adopted to overcome the many problems associated with fabrication of welded structures. It is not the intention to discuss the causes of weld failures in specific cases nor the particular remedies adopted, but rather to describe the general approach in terms of training and education, in welding and technology, the adoption of detailed specifications and procedure controls used for the control of welding standards.
Institution of Mechanical Engineers1 Birdcage Walk
London SW1H 9JJ, England
- Hurst, J K
- Publication Date: 1978-3
- Pagination: n.p.
- Volume: 192
- TRT Terms: Construction; Locomotives; Rolling stock; Specifications; Standards; Training; Vehicle design; Welding; Weldments
- Old TRIS Terms: Car design; Locomotive design
- Subject Areas: Construction; Design; Education and Training; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00182582
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Engineering Index
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Oct 12 1978 12:00AM