SAMPLE DESIGN FOR DISCRETE CHOICE ANALYSIS OF TRAVEL BEHAVIOR: THE STATE OF THE ART
A review of the state of the art in designing samples for discrete choice analysis of traveller behavior is presented. The basic discrete choice analysis framework is reviewed. It is assumed that any sample used is drawn by a process termed stratified sampling, in which the analyst partitions the population based on attributes and choices made, and then selects the fraction of observations taken within each stratum and the total sample size. Observations within strata are drawn at random. Two related problems, determining the distribution of the attributes in the populations and estimating the choice probabilities conditional on the attributes, are explored. Various procedures for solving both these problems are detailed. The role of experimentation in extending the range of attributes in the population is explored. /Authors/
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/isbn/UM827R8712
- Performed under subcontract to Multisystems, Incorporated (Cambridge) and Transportation Systems Center (Cambridge). Sponsored by the Urban Mass Transportation Adminsitration.
Cambridge Systematics, Incorporated100 Cambridge Park Drive, Suite 400
Cambridge, MA USA 02140
- Lerman, S R
- Manski, C F
- Publication Date: 1978-7
- Features: Appendices; References;
- Pagination: 70 p.
- TRT Terms: Analysis; Choice models; Distributions (Statistics); Forecasting; Mathematical models; Samples; Sampling; State of the art studies; Transportation; Transportation planning; Travel demand; Travel patterns; Urban transit
- Old TRIS Terms: Discrete distributions; Transportation models and systems; Urban/mass
- Subject Areas: Planning and Forecasting; Society; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 00188437
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Transportation Statistical Reference File, TSC
- ISBN: UM827/R8712
- Report/Paper Numbers: UMTA-MA-06-0049-78-8Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-TSC-1083
- Files: TSR, TRIS
- Created Date: Mar 14 1979 12:00AM