REPORT ON CAPITAL REQUIREMENTS FOR TRANSPORTATION OF ENERGY MATERIALS
The study obtains and organizes sufficient data so that costs of expanding capacity in transportation of energy materials can be determined in a way designed to meet the needs and requirements of the Project Independence Evaluation System (PIES) model. Requirements for capital expenditures are computed for three modes of transport in five computer-based algorithms: oil pipeline investment; gas pipeline investment; rail car and locomotive investment; coal barge and collier investment; and oil barge and tanker investment. Necessary data and assumptions are organized within the context of each algorithm either as a separate data base or written into the program as suits the nature of the mode and the output information obtainable from PIES. The only exception to this concerns track and railbed improvements, the need for which cannot be predicted on the basis of information derived from PIES outputs. The approach in the algorithm logic differs considerably between the modes. Each chapter is dedicated to a different mode, Chapter II to Pipeline Transportation, Chapter III to Water Transportation, and Chapter IV to Railroad Transportation. Each chapter opens with an introduction on the salient characteristics of the mode followed by a discussion of the logic of the algorithm, and data sources and assumptions. A brief overview of the methods employed in the modal analyses and their relationships to PIES are given.
Transportation & Economics Research Associates Inc1901 North Fort Myer Drive
Arlington, VA United States 22209
- Publication Date: 1978-6-9
- Pagination: 263 p.
- TRT Terms: Coal; Coal industry; Competition; Economic analysis; Energy transfer; Forecasting; Freight traffic; Inland waterways; Investments; Mathematical models; Petroleum industry; Pipelines; Transportation modes; Unit trains
- Uncontrolled Terms: Petroleum trade
- Subject Areas: Economics; Energy; Freight Transportation; Pipelines; Railroads; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00188345
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Feb 27 1979 12:00AM