CORRESPONDENCE BETWEEN THE ENERGY CRITERION FOR FRACTURE AND MATHEMATICAL MODELING OF STRAIN EFFECTS AT THE TIP OF SLIT-CRACKS
Investigation of the phenomena of crack formation in brittle bodies is associated with the combination, on one hand, of the methods and formulations of the classical theory of elasticity and, on the other, with certain special physical effects associated with the formation of discontinuities within deformable solid bodies. An article by Yu. R. Rayzer appeared in Uspekhi fizicheskikh nauk (Advances in the Physical Sciences) attempting to clarify the status of the theory of crack formation and also to attempt to refute several published critical remarks. Several well known principles of the theory of crack formation were accurately stated in the article. Even so, this article can divert the reader from a correct appreciation of the fundamental simple concepts on which the theory of crack formation rests.
- Translation of monograph O Spptvetstvoo Mezhdu Energeticheskim Kriteriem Razrusheniya i Motematickeskim Modelirovanihym Yavlenii Deformatsii v Kontse Razrezpv-Treshchnin, Moscow.
Army Foreign Science and Technology Center220 7th Street, NE
Charlottesville, VA USA 22901
- Morozov, E M
- Publication Date: 1972-5-3
- Pagination: 19 p.
- TRT Terms: Cracking; Fracture mechanics
- Uncontrolled Terms: Crack propagation
- Old TRIS Terms: Crack formation
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Materials;
- Accession Number: 00040924
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: FSTC-HT-23-399-72
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Feb 23 1973 12:00AM