DERIVATION OF CAPACITY BOUND FOR ACTIVE RIHANS SYSTEMS
The Coast Guard is engaged in the development of a short-range, all-weather, precision aid to navigation systems, RIHANS (River and Harbor Aid to Navigation System). A type of system, an 'active' RIHANS, that would require two-way information transfer between the vessel and fixed short-based transmitters is a candidate for RIHANS implementation. To avoid saturation problems, such a system must be capable of handling the maximum number of vessels using the system during any time period. Derivation of this 'capacity bound' is the subject of this report. The capacity bound has been determined to be 375 simultaneous RIHANS users.
United States Coast GuardApplied Technology Division
Washington, DC United States
- Millan Jr, H E
- Publication Date: 1972-6-22
- Pagination: 40 p.
- TRT Terms: Harbor traffic control; Navigation; Navigational aids; Position fixing; Rivers; Ship pilotage
- Old TRIS Terms: All weather navigation; Position finding; River navigation
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Operations and Traffic Management;
- Accession Number: 00040919
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Feb 14 1973 12:00AM