STUDY OF THE PERFORMANCE OF AIDS TO NAVIGATION SYSTEMS--PHASE I, CLOSED LOOP MODEL OF THE PROCESS OF NAVIGATION
This document presents the results of a study of Aids-to-Navigation Systems in the harbor and harbor entrance environment. The objectives of this Phase I study were to develop a preliminary methodology to clearly identify the essential elements of the process of navigation, and to develop a preliminary analytical model to evaluate systems of aids to navigation. During the course of the Phase I effort, a survey of experts in navigation, navigation research, and NAVAID system planning was completed and the current state-of-the-art in each area was summarized. The essential elements of the process of navigation were identified and were incorporated in a functioning model of the process of navigation. This model was used to successfully emulate mariner/vessel performance in real-world conditions. The mariner's requirements for navigational information were identified and the amount and type of navigational information available from aids was identified and correlated with information utilization associated with unique harbor, vessel, environmental, and visual aids to navigation system characteristics. The form and structure of a preliminary Navigation System Evaluation Model were developed, and the requirements for model completion and validation were defined.
- Prepared for U.S. Department of Transportation, United States Coast Guard Office of Research and Development, Washington, D.C. 20590.
Systems Control, Incorporated1801 Page Mill Road
Palo Alto, CA United States 94304
- Clark, W H
- Stephenson, A R
- Bateson, R H
- Jones, J E
- Pohle, C G
- Kessler, K M
- Sorensen, J
- Publication Date: 1978-3
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 511 p.
- TRT Terms: Crash avoidance systems; Harbors; Human factors engineering; Information organization; Maneuverability; Maneuvering; Navigation; Navigation radar; Navigation systems; Navigational aids; Radio navigation; Ship pilotage; Ship simulators; Simulation; State of the art; Visual aids
- Old TRIS Terms: Harbor navigation; Navigation information systems; Restricted water operation
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Marine Transportation; Operations and Traffic Management; Safety and Human Factors; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00188138
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: United States Coast Guard
- Report/Paper Numbers: CG-D-38-78 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-CG-75400-A
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Feb 27 1979 12:00AM