STUDY OF THE PERFORMANCE OF AIDS TO NAVIGATION SYSTEMS--PHASE I, AN EMPIRICAL MODEL APPROACH
This report presents the results of a Phase I investigation concerned with establishing the feasibility of developing a systematic approach through which the effectiveness of alternate aids to navigation (AN) systems can be determined. The three-faceted approach developed by Eclectech Associates (EA) consists of selectively combining at-sea data, simulator data, and a fast time Monte Carlo model to detail the parameters of the navigation process and to yield the desired measures of effectiveness. The approach may be characterized as a "modeling process," which draws from several disciplines and sources to achieve a balanced end result not solely dependent on one area of expertise. To ascertain whether the multifaceted approach selected is both valid and highly feasible, EA, proceeded beyond the design stage of Phase I into the development and preliminary validation of the approach in each of its three major facets. Data are presented herein to establish the success of this effort.
- Prepared for U.S. Department of Transportation United States Coast Guard Office of Research and Development, Washington, D.C. 20590.
Eclectech Associates, IncorporatedPost Office Box 178, Route 2, Technology Park
North Stonington, CT United States 06359
- Bertsche, W R
- Pesch, A J
- Masakasy, J L
- Clark, J G
- Atkins, D A
- Publication Date: 1978-7-19
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 299 p.
- TRT Terms: Crash avoidance systems; Human factors engineering; Maneuverability; Maneuvering; Navigation; Navigation radar; Navigational aids; Pilotage; Risk analysis; Ship simulators; Simulation; Water traffic
- Old TRIS Terms: Restricted water operation
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Operations and Traffic Management; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00188137
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: United States Coast Guard
- Report/Paper Numbers: CG-D-36-78 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-CG-72784-A
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Feb 27 1979 12:00AM