DIGITAL CONTROL OF GAS TURBINE-DRIVEN SHIPS IN THE MANEUVERING REGION
This paper presents an approach for the digital control of gas turbines used as prime movers on ships. Beginning with the derivation of the mathematical model of the system that comprises the ship, the gas turbine and the variable pitch propeller, this paper then moves on to the linearization of the model and the controller design. By Taylor series expansion, a number of linear models, each valid for a particular operating condition, are obtained. In these linearized state-space models, the two control inputs are throttle demand and propeller pitch rate and the three states are shaft rpm, free turbine torque and power lever angle. A set of control laws, one for each model, are derived and stored in the computer which then selects the correct controller for a given operating condition. The control laws are derived via the minimization of a performance function and implemented simply by an appropriate set of feedback and feedforward gains. Simulation studies, using the DDH 280 Class destroyers of the Canadian Navy as an example, indicate that the present specifications are easily met. Namely, the required ship speed changes can be achieved with shaft rpm variations and maximum shaft torque well below the allowable levels.
- Proceedings Fifth Ship Control Systems Symposium, David W. Taylor Naval Ship Research and Development Center, Annapolis, Maryland, October 30-November 3, 1978, Volume 4.
David Taylor Naval Ship R&D CenterBethesda, MD United States 20084
- Gibson, F W
- Chan, Y T
- Plant, J B
- Publication Date: 1978
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 20 p.
- TRT Terms: Control systems; Controllable pitch propellers; Digital computers; Electric power plants; Gas turbines; Mathematical models; Propulsion; Simulation; Variable pitch propellers; Vehicle power plants
- Old TRIS Terms: Control systems design; Digital systems; Propulsion machinery; Propulsion machinery controls; Simulated propulsion plants
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00187960
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: David Taylor Naval Ship R&D Center
- Report/Paper Numbers: Proceeding
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Feb 3 1979 12:00AM