MANSIM--A COMBINED SIMULATOR AND SIMULATION SYSTEM FOR SHIP STEERING
A computer-based system for simulation of ship steering and ship traffic in restricted waters is presented. The system is making use of a general purpose, interactive computer facility for simulation of dynamic processes (GENSIM), comprising both a hardware system, including four color TV-screens, trackerball, keyboards and a console for process control and supervision, and an associated software package (SUPERSIM). The Main Modules of MANSIM: The SHIP module describes the dynamics of the ships using differential-, logic-, and algebraic equations. The ENVIRONMENT module describes the environmental factors and comprises topological description of the area under consideration. The OPERATE module allows the operator to interact with the system. By use of predefined push buttons, the operator controls the SHIP module. Particulars of the Simulator System: Ships may be manoeuvred/steered on the TV-screens under the influence of the environment (current, wind, bottom, etc.). Ship traffic operation/transportation analysis may be performed in both a deterministic and random way. The Main Objectives for such Simulations: To analyse ship manoeuvrability. To analyse a ship's ability to navigate a given fairway and to determine the risk by that navigation. To analyse ship accidents with respect to manoeuvring possibilities and limitations. To determine procedures which will minimise the risk of accidents during navigation in a given area.
- Proceedings Fifth Ship Control Systems Symposium, David W. Taylor Naval Ship Research and Development Center, Annapolis, Maryland, October 30-November 3, 1978, Volume 4.
David Taylor Naval Ship R&D CenterBethesda, MD United States 20084
- Frivold, H
- Krogh, F
- Publication Date: 1978
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 15 p.
- TRT Terms: Human machine systems; Maneuverability; Maneuvering; Mathematical models; Risk analysis; Ship simulators; Simulation; Steering; Training simulators; Water transportation crashes
- Old TRIS Terms: Man machine communications; Restricted water operation; Steering dynamics; Steering simulators
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Operations and Traffic Management; Safety and Human Factors; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00187958
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: David Taylor Naval Ship R&D Center
- Report/Paper Numbers: Proceeding
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Feb 3 1979 12:00AM