DATA BASE DEVELOPMENT OF AUTOMOBILE AND LIGHT TRUCK MAINTENANCE. VOLUME I - TEXT AND APPENDIXES A-D
The volume describes the development of the life cycle maintenance costs for 212 sales-leading 1970 through 1975 passenger cars and light trucks. These costs provide a data base for the Department of Transportation, which describes the costs for parts and labor for performing both the scheduled (manufacturers recommended) and typical unscheduled (replacement of worn out parts) maintenance for each of these 212 vehicles. In addition, the automotive service industry has been characterized. This characterization includes the facility (building) costs, land requirements, tools and equipment requirements, inventories investment costs and operating capital required to operate a service establishment. The major types of service facilities which perform most of the commercially done repair work were characterized. These establishments are representative of the 29,600 new car dealers, 86,200 gasoline service stations, 30,650 independent repair garages, and 12,280 specialty shops in existence in 1975. The policies used by the service industry in pricing replacement parts are also presented. The report details the price discounting policies of the industry parts suppliers, including the automobile manufacturers and aftermarket parts manufacturers, as well as those of the parts distribution system (jobbers, new car dealers, oil companies, and specialty shops).
- Record URL:
- See also Volume 2, PB-288 992. Also available in set of 3 reports PC E12, PB-288 990-SET.
Little (Arthur D), IncorporatedAcorn Park
Cambridge, MA United States 02140
Transportation Systems Center55 Broadway, Kendall Square
Cambridge, MA United States 02142
- Hurter, D A
- Gardella, N G
- Gott, P G
- Publication Date: 1978-8
- Media Type: Digital/other
- Pagination: 148 p.
- TRT Terms: Automobile repair shops; Automobiles; Components; Equipment; Industries; Information processing; Labor market; Maintenance; Motor vehicle industry; Operating costs; Passenger vehicles; Prices; Spare parts; Tools; Trucks
- Old TRIS Terms: Repair shops
- Subject Areas: Maintenance and Preservation; Motor Carriers; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00186873
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-HS-803-376-1
- Contract Numbers: DOT-TSC-1047-1
- Files: NTIS, NTL
- Created Date: Feb 27 2002 12:00AM