SAN FRANCISCO MUNI TRANSPORTATION PLANNING OPERATIONS AND MARKETING STUDY
The report provides an overview of extensive inventories and evaluations of Municipal Railway (MUNI) services, and principal features of a recommended short-term improvement plan and program. The main thrust of the recommendations is aimed at more efficient use of existing public transportation resources. Recommendations include comprehensive modifications of MUNI routes and headways; a transit priority street program to facilitate transit vehicle movement on congested streets; an extension of the J streetcar line to improve operating efficiency; site plans and design criteria for a new bus maintenance facility needed to reduce operating costs; a set of basic goals, standards and criteria for MUNI service; and various management actions which would improve the quality of service. The work described represents only the first of several phases of a complete planning, operations and marketing program. (Color illustrations reproduced in black and white)
- Also available in 35 mm.
Smith (Wilbur) and Associates111 Pine Street
San Francisco, CA United States
Urban Mass Transportation Administration400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Publication Date: 1978-3
- Pagination: 35 p.
- TRT Terms: Buses; Cities; Cities and towns; Electric railroads; Headways; Level of service; Light rail transit; Marketing; Operations; Planning; Railroad transportation; Rolling stock; Routes; Routing; Scheduling; Street railroads; Streetcars; Transportation operations; Transportation planning; Urban transportation
- Identifier Terms: San Francisco Municipal Railway
- Uncontrolled Terms: Services; Transportation management
- Geographic Terms: California
- Old TRIS Terms: Operations planning
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Operations and Traffic Management; Passenger Transportation; Planning and Forecasting; Public Transportation; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00186871
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: UMTA-CA-09-0025-78-1Summ Rpt.
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Feb 27 1981 12:00AM