DYNAMIC EXPERIMENTS OF ALTERNATIVE GUIDEWAY-VEHICLE SYSTEMS, PART I
This is an experimental investigation of vehicle-elevated guideway response dynamics. First, descriptions are given of the laboratory system components, which are: the spans (single, multiple and cable-stayed); the vehicles (tandem point loads and an Automated Guideway Transit (AGT) vehicle model); the vehicles' linear induction motor propulsion system; and the span-vehicle data retrieval system. Second, data are presented for a variety of vehicle-guideway configurations. Measured moment responses of simple spans to tandem loads show reasonable agreements with theory. Also, the six-span configuration, for a variety of transit loadings, shows less dynamic response compared to its single-span counterpart, but only up to certain vehicle speeds (or passage frequency ratios). Further, experiments on three- and six-span cable stayed guideways with a transit point load and an AGT vehicle show the importance of designing with medium-stiff cables if both span responses and vehicle heave acceleration are to be minimized. The last study summarizes current analyses on horizontal guideways of constant radius of curvature, and the response of such guideways to transit loads. It is concluded that such model experiments are needed and preliminary tests show that they are feasible. As for the straight spans, such data can be presented in nondimensional forms, directly applicable in the full-scale dynamic design of urban transit systems.
Duke UniversityDepartment of Civil Engineering
Durham, NC USA 27706
Department of TransportationOffice of University Research, 1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Wilson, J F
- Publication Date: 1978-6
- Pagination: 110 p.
- TRT Terms: Automated guideway transit; Beams; Cables; Curved beams; Dynamic loads; Dynamic structural analysis; Dynamic tests; Dynamics; Guideways; Intelligent transportation systems; Loads; Piers (Supports); Piers (Wharves); Rapid transit; Structural analysis; Vibration
- Uncontrolled Terms: Dynamic analysis; Dynamic response; Model tests
- Old TRIS Terms: Advanced systems; Beams (Support); Cable suspension guideways; Guideway dynamics; Mechanical guides; Rapid transit railways
- Subject Areas: Operations and Traffic Management; Public Transportation; Railroads; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00186863
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT/RSPA/DPB50-77/11Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-OS-60130
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Feb 27 1982 12:00AM