THE REQUIREMENTS FOR AND FEASIBILITY OF A TRANSPORTATION INFORMATION SYSTEM
This report examines the population of transportation users, their characteristics, and their information needs. In addition, it deals with policy questions emphasizing the need for a new plan of action that reflects a stronger DOT commitment to provide appropriate information for future demands. Also included are reviews of DOT's present efforts to make the transportation information system more responsive to today's user needs. These efforts include consolidating knowledge about information requirements, choosing among multiple alternative approaches (other Government systems in use), and proposing a cost effective information system. Finally, the report makes a recommendation of a system that has the most potential for meeting DOT's responsibility for collection, organization, and dissemination of information on transportation.
Mariscal and Company1054 Thomas Jefferson Street, NW
Washington, DC USA 20007
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Simon, S
- Pomerance, D
- Marcus, G
- Publication Date: 1977-10-10
- Pagination: 82 p.
- TRT Terms: Cost effectiveness; Feasibility analysis; Federal government; Information dissemination; Information systems; Needs assessment; Policy; Specifications; Transportation; Transportation operations
- Uncontrolled Terms: Requirement; User needs
- Old TRIS Terms: Transportation administration; User characteristics
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Policy; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 00186854
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-RSPD-DPA-20-78-1Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-OS-70089
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Feb 27 1979 12:00AM