TRANSPORTATION DISADVANTAGED IN MARYLAND
Physical, socioeconomic, and environmental constraints on the mobility of Maryland residents are examined, particularly as they affect elderly, handicapped, poor, and rural population groups. The report concentrates upon the following four areas: (1) state of being transportation - disadvantaged and its adverse effect on the individual's quality of life due to resulting restrictions on meaningful and productive activities; (2) magnitude and location of transportation - disadvantaged persons in Maryland; (3) efforts to address mobility problems at the Federal level and in Maryland; and (4) directions in transportation alternatives for the disadvantaged. The importance of community level research and data gathering is demonstrated. It is recommended that research more clearly delinate the relationship between individual mobility constraints and transportation services needed to address these constraints. Cooperation between the public and private sectors in the provision of specialized transportation is considered essential. Information needs and planning and coordination needs in Maryland are examined. It is pointed out that there is no overall evaluative framework or mechanism in the State to assess the impact of various efforts being made to improve the mobility of transportation - disadvantaged individuals. Recommendations are made. A glossary is included.
Maryland Department of State PlanningHuman Services Planning and Coordination Project
Baltimore, MD USA 21201
Department of Health, Education and WelfareWashington, DC USA
- Publication Date: 1977-9
- Pagination: 154 p.
- TRT Terms: Adults; Age groups; Aged; Clients; Communication; Communities; Consumers; Coordination; Delivery service; Government agencies; Labor unions; Level of service; Low income groups; Methodology; Mobility; Needs assessment; Organization; Outreach; Physically handicapped persons; Public relations; Rural areas; Service agencies; Social service; Socioeconomic factors; Transportation; Transportation planning
- Uncontrolled Terms: Disadvantaged persons; Services; User needs
- Old TRIS Terms: Agency role; Communicating; Disabled
- Subject Areas: Economics; Society; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 00186815
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Feb 27 1979 12:00AM