REVIEW OF CRITERIA FOR PACKAGING PLUTONIUM FOR TRANSPORT BY AIR
To help assure the adequacy of the plutonium package certification program for the safe transport of plutonium by air, the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) requested the National Research Council of the National Academy of Sciences and the National Academy of Engineering to conduct an independent assessment of the Commission's program. The report describes the comments, recommendations, and conclusions that resulted from the independent review. This includes an assessment of the adequacy of the NRC qualification criteria with respect to severe aircraft accidents and the Model PAT-1 package which was developed to meet the criteria.
National Research CouncilAd Hoc Committee on the Transportation of Plutonium by Air
Washington, DC United States 20418
Nuclear Regulatory Commission1717 H Street, NW
Washington, DC United States 20555
- Publication Date: 1978-9
- Pagination: 88 p.
- TRT Terms: Air cargo; Air transportation; Containers; Freight transportation; Hazardous materials; Leakage; Nuclear reactors; Packaging; Plutonium; Radiation hazards; Radiation shielding; Standards
- Uncontrolled Terms: Criteria
- Old TRIS Terms: Cargo transportation; Criticality
- Subject Areas: Aviation; Data and Information Technology; Freight Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00186790
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: NUREG-CR-0428 Tech Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: NRC-02-77-004
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Feb 27 1979 12:00AM