QUALIFICATION CRITERIA TO CERTIFY A PACKAGE FOR AIR TRANSPORT OF PLUTONIUM
The document describes qualification criteria developed by the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission to certify a package for air transport of plutonium. Included in the document is a discussion of aircraft accident conditions and a summary of the technical basis for the qualification criteria. The criteria require prototype packages to be subjected to various individual and sequential tests that simulate the conditions produced in severe aircraft accidents. Specific post-test acceptance standards are prescribed for each of the three safety functions of a package. The qualification criteria also prescribe certain operational controls to be exercised during transport.
Nuclear Regulatory CommissionTransportation Branch
Washington, DC United States 20555
- Publication Date: 1978-1
- Pagination: 68 p.
- TRT Terms: Air cargo; Air transportation; Air transportation crashes; Containers; Evaluation; Hazardous materials; Packaging; Plutonium; Radiation hazards; Reliability; Safety; Specifications; Standards; Tests
- Uncontrolled Terms: Criteria; Requirement
- Subject Areas: Aviation; Freight Transportation; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00186787
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: NUREG-0360
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Feb 27 1979 12:00AM