ENVIRONMENTAL CONTAMINATION BY LEAD AND OTHER HEAVY METALS. VOLUME 3. DISTRIBUTION AND CHARACTERIZATION OF URBAN DUSTS
This volume describes studies of the sources and distribution of lead and cadmium in the dust and soils of an urban area. The work was conducted as part of a larger effort to identify the sources, distribution, and fate of lead and other heavy metals in both the rural and urban environments. Urban soils and settled dusts are of especial interest from the standpoint of human health because it is with these potential carriers of heavy-metal pollutants that humans are most likely to come into contact. The studies reported in this volume show that current urban concentrations of heavy metals in dusts and soils, both indoors and outdoors, could have a significant impact on human health. Samples collected from several types of locations in an urban environment during the field survey were analyzed for their lead and cadmium content to determine the general distribution of these elements within the area and to identify local patterns of their concentrations in and around selected buildings. Some of the samples from this survey were then separated by particle size, density, and magnetism, and the relative concentrations of lead and cadmium in each fraction were determined, the purpose being to gain information which would indicate the sources of the two metals. Also studied were the physical and chemical characteristics and the transformations of the lead and polycyclic organic matter (POM) associated with urban dusts and aerosols.
- Also available in set of 5 reports (PB-287150-SET).
University of Illinois, Urbana-ChampaignInstitute for Environmental Studies
Urbana, IL USA 61801
National Science FoundationApplied Science and Research Applications, 1800 G Street, NW
Washington, DC USA 20550
- Solomon, R L
- Natusch, DFS
- Publication Date: 1977-7
- Pagination: 103 p.
- TRT Terms: Aerosols; Air pollution; Cadmium; Chemical analysis; Chemical properties; Contaminants; Dust; Ecology; Environment; Environmental impacts; Exhaust gases; Grain size (Geology); Health; Heavy metals; Lead (Metal); Magnetic properties; Organic compounds; Paint; Physical distribution; Physical properties; Pollution; Public health; Sampling; Soils; Surveys; Systems analysis; Tetraethyl lead; Trace elements; Transport properties (Physics); Urban areas
- Uncontrolled Terms: Contamination; Sources; Transport properties
- Old TRIS Terms: Environmental surveys
- Subject Areas: Environment; Freight Transportation; Geotechnology; Highways;
- Accession Number: 00186782
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: NSF/RA-770683 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: NSF-GI-31605, NSF-ERT74-24276
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Feb 27 1979 12:00AM